2.18.2007

Impulse Buys Are Fun

A GameStop opened in my area the other day, so I went to check it out yesterday.

Let me be clear; I do not like GameStop. But even I have to admit that the people who work at this particular GameStop are quite nice, and the prices on the games available mostly aren't as unreasonable as ones found at other GameStops. Hell, there was even a large number of games and accessories available there already.

And then what do I see? Why, it's the case filled with original GameBoy and GameBoy Color games. And what do I find upon further inspection?

Kirby's Pinball Land.



I bought it. For $10. I'm nuts. I know. I don't care.

This game is hard. Don't tell me it isn't. I realize it's Kirby. Kirby is never hard. Until now. Yeah, you heard me. Kirby is hard here.

Or maybe I just suck at pinball.

Kirby's Pinball Land's story is...well, see for yourself:

Kirby, your pudgy buddy from Dream Land, is back again on Game Boy! This time the game is Pinball, and Kirby will have to face King Dedede and his bosses who guard the three Pinball Lands. In order to defeat King Dedede and his three bosses, Kirby becomes a pinball. This allows him to fight effectively in the Pinball Lands -- each a magical land with all kinds of tricks and bonuses! How high can you score? Can Kirby defeat King Dedede again? Let's find out! Okay Kirby, turn into a pinball and get ready for a wacky
pinball battle!


Straight from the instruction booklet, people. Yeah, it's cheesy. But Kirby has never been about story, so it isn't exactly surprising.



At the outset of the game, Kirby has three areas to choose from, each featuring a boss. Wispy, Krako, and Poppy challenge Kirby before he fights King Dedede. But i order to reach each of them, Kirby must bounce his way up through areas filled with obstacles, enemies, mini-bosses, and the occasional Warp Star.



So, essentially, Kirby's Pinball Land is a "Pinball Adventure Game." Or something like that. Kirby must get to the top level of each pinball area, and then make a Warp Star appear that he can ride to challenge the area's boss. After beating the three bosses, Kirby must challenge the villainous King Dedede:



Sexy, no?

The game controls well and borrows many graphical elements, enemies, and sounds from Kirby's Dreamland.

Hey, it made my weekend!

1 comment:

Zachary said...

Yay! I love Kirby Pinball. It's my brother's game, but who wouldn't play it? The first time I spotted my eyes on it, I thought it was a joke. After playing, I thought it was one of the most entertaining games on Game Boy (original). I haven't played it in a long time...WHY?!?!